Press Release: July 24, 2012
Topic: Canadian Hero, Captain Charles Rainsford, Fredericton gravesite
Source: Anglican Parish of St Peter, Fredericton; www.stpeterfredericton.nb.ca
Canadian Hero Rests in Fredericton
One of Fredericton`s best kept secrets is the final resting place of a great Canadian hero. Captain Charles Rainsford, hero of the 104 Regiment of Foot, lies buried in St Peter`s Anglican cemetery on the Woodstock Road. To commemorate this man on the bicentennial of the conflict in which he served, the War of 1812-1814, the Parish has erected two custom designed informative signs. The signs, incorporating elements supplied by the Saint John River Society, tell of Captain Rainsford and guide the curious to his distinctive gravesite.
During the War of 1812-1814, the Regiment, stationed at Fredericton, was needed for the upcoming spring campaign in Upper Canada – present day Ontario. As there were no planes, no trains, no automobiles and not even roads, the march had to be accomplished by following rivers and portages – and it was done in the dead of winter! Leaving Fredericton on February 16, 1813 they tramped through snow and endured cold and storms all the way up the Saint John River valley to Quebec colony. But at Lake Temiscouata they became storm stayed due to a blizzard and began to run dangerously low on supplies. It was at this point that Captain Charles Rainsford and two other men snow shoed 145 kms out and back in two (2) days to secure a rescue party of supplies for the 200 starving men. Replenished by this aid, the expedition was able to forge on to Quebec City and their eventual destination of Kingston and there aid in the defence of the country against the invaders from the south.
Captain Charles Rainsford, Canadian hero, and his wife Deborah were members of St Peter`s Parish. The Rainsford`s worshipped at St Peter`s, had their three children baptized in our little church and both husband and wife lie buried in our quiet cemetery. As a Parish, we invite our fellow citizens to come and see this historic site in their midst. We simply wish to share with the public our Canadian heritage, to offer a means to celebrate our forbearers and honour a true Canadian hero who rests in our community – Captain Charles Rainsford.
The signs, one beside the walking trail and the other in front of the church building, will be officially unveiled on Tuesday, July 31 at 1 pm prior to the New Brunswick Day holiday weekend.